Tomorrow is on the horizon, full of questions and unknowns. It is up to us how we answer. Starting today, we can respond with hope, with possibility, with action. We can speak up, raise our hands, give back. Starting today, we can rebuild our communities so they are better, more equitable, more resilient. And we can reimagine a tomorrow that is better than yesterday. But a new tomorrow can’t be reached alone. To get there, starting today, we must work together.
- People in our community still need help – now more than ever because of the global pandemic, as well as every day struggles
- United Way of San Diego County improves the education and family stability of every person – regardless of income or zip code
- Individuals can have a big impact in their community, but they must start today
Here’s why it makes sense to continue to support United Way.
The tough work that will be needed to help communities recover is the very work United Way does every day:
- By leveraging federal funds and donations, Unions United, in partnership with United Way, provides emergency assistance for rent or mortgage, utilities, and food;
- We partner with schools and community-based organizations to prepare children for success in school, work, and life;
- We connect those in financial distress with resources to pay rent, mortgage, and utilities bills.
It is critical that we prepare for, respond to, and ultimately help our communities emerge stronger from this crisis.
Beyond response and recovery:
We already know the need will be greater, and more sustained, than ever before. This crisis hasn’t happened in a vacuum. We understand that many are still facing everyday disasters―like food insecurity, lack of access to educational resources, and financial strife―and these needs have only gotten worse. UWSD takes the long view, and is in it for the long haul, bringing people and organizations together to help communities recover, rebuild, and thrive.
Every person deserves to thrive. To make that dream a reality, UWSD supports the education and family stability of our neighbors.
But this is not something we can take on without partnership. Change doesn’t happen alone and we need the support of our local businesses, other nonprofit organizations, and people like you. Because the challenges we face are complex. They don’t have easy answers and can last months, years, and even generations.
When you support UWSD, you join forces to support:
The chance to succeed for more kids. From cradle to career, we ensure every child gets a strong start in life, teenagers have the tools to learn and grow, and young adults thrive in the job market. Last year, we engaged 11,701 students and families with attendance awareness efforts.
A path toward family stability for everyone. We support access to free tax preparation services that help make family stability easier. Last year, 25,250 households were served through the Earned Income Tax Credit Coalition, and over $42M in federal and state refunds were brought back to San Diego County families.
We will continue to support those in our community who need it most. We hope you will join us.