United Way of San Diego County is dedicated to improving people’s lives and we recognize that it is our civic obligation to help make sure decision makers understand the community’s challenges and act accordingly. Of course, we can’t do it alone. We must work collaboratively with our partners to elevate these issues, build coalitions to advance research-based strategies, invite individuals and organizations into meaningful actions and advocate collectively for lasting change. It requires all of us to raise our voices in big ways and small to ensure our public policies support our efforts to advance the common good.
What is Public Policy?
• The set of decisions that we make at every level of government about how we will care for one another and our communities.
• Public policy engagement is an essential way to insist on policies that benefit everyone in the community and keep communities sound.
• Participating in public policy strengthens our capacity to advance the common good.
What is Advocacy?
• It involves embracing and promoting an idea or cause.
• It allows us to expand and enrich the conversation as a resource to public officials and communities.
• Advocacy helps influence policy choices.
• Advocacy activities vary from grassroots organizing (informing & educating elected officials) to direct lobbying (asking a decision-maker to act on a defined proposal).
• A broad effort to promote a position.
Why is public policy advocacy important for YOU?
• Provides the ability to convene individuals and groups around the public policies that are important in people’s lives.
• Building advocates builds leaders. Learning to inform the dialogue and to assert a point of view.
• It is necessary to create systemic and long-term change.
Why is public policy advocacy important?
• Advocacy aligns with the mission of United Way.
• Your policy accomplishments support your organization’s ability to carry out programs.
• The United Way network works to research and advocate for policy change that is necessary to improve community outcomes.
• When we enlist individuals and organizations in our cause, whether it’s Giving, Advocating or Volunteering, we’re providing opportunities to make a difference.
• Enhance the community’s voice.