Nonprofit Board Service Certification
By aligning community partners and leveraging the time, talent, and treasure of our corporate partners, UWSD serves as a leader in connecting the private sector and nonprofit community to accelerate social impact. Through this program, we also build the capacity of nonprofit organizations in San Diego.
The collective essence of a quality nonprofit board derives from its individual members’ unique perspectives, professional expertise, and life experiences. The most effective nonprofit organizations invest in a well-developed, diverse, and engaged board. Doing so sends a clear signal that the organization values creating an environment of trust, inclusion, and innovation. Given our history of partnering with a wide range of individuals in the private and public sectors, United Way of San Diego County is keenly aware of the value and lasting change that dedicated community members can offer to the nonprofit sector. In partnership with The Nonprofit Institute at the University of San Diego, UWSD offers a Nonprofit Board Service Certification program designed to help professionals use their skills and experience to move boards forward in an ever-changing world.
UWSD focuses on aligning community partners and leveraging the time, talent, and treasure of our corporate partners. As such, UWSD is well-positioned to pair certified program participants with organizations working in their area of interest that have a need for their areas of expertise. After program completion, participants will be awarded a Nonprofit Board Service Certificate from the University of San Diego and UWSD will work to connect participants with nonprofits in need of board members.
Who Should Participate and Why?
• Individuals seeking to fully understand the value, roles, and responsibilities associated with serving on a nonprofit board.
• Current or aspiring board members who seek to advance their general board governance knowledge and increase their leadership potential.
• Nonprofit staff whose roles include working directly with board members.
• Increase your impact in the community.
• Connect with nonprofits in need of board members with your area of expertise.
• Enhance your leadership skills and learn about effective governance of nonprofits.
• Meet like-minded people and network with other leaders.
• How to govern in a virtual world.
• The importance of building a diverse and equitable Board of Directors.
• The legal, financial, and ethical responsibilities of nonprofit board members.
• BoardSource’s “12 Principles of Governance that Power Exceptional Boards”
• Five steps to identifying the right board to join
• Brené Brown’s “Dare to Lead” curriculum
A six-week virtual course, the Nonprofit Board Service Certification cohort requires a commitment of 2.5 hours per week “in class,” with additional discussions and readings as assigned.
September 30 – November 4 • 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
** Future cohort dates will be announced soon!
Cost and Application
The application deadline is Wednesday, September 9th, 2020 and acceptance notifications will be sent by Monday, September 14th, 2020.
Upon acceptance into the program, a $1,000 program fee is due before the first training session; details about payment options will be sent out with decision notifications.
For more information, contact Carlee Chatman, Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, at email@example.com.