Nonprofit Board Certification
Serve San Diego
By aligning community partners and leveraging the time, talent, and treasure of our corporate partners, UWSD serves as a leader in connecting the private sector and nonprofit community to accelerate social impact. Through this program, we will also be building the capacity of nonprofit organizations in San Diego.
The collective essence of a quality nonprofit board derives from its individual members’ unique perspectives, professional expertise, and life experiences. The most effective nonprofit organizations invest in a well-developed, diverse, and engaged board. Doing so sends a clear signal that the organization values creating an environment of trust, inclusion, and innovation. Given our history of partnering with a wide range of individuals in the private and public sectors, United Way of San Diego County is keenly aware of the value and lasting change that dedicated community members can offer to the nonprofit sector. In partnership with The Nonprofit Institute at the University of San Diego, UWSD is launching a Board Service Certification program designed to help professionals use their skills and experience to move boards forward in an ever-changing world.
UWSD focuses on aligning community partners and leveraging the time, talent, and treasure of our corporate partners. As such, UWSD is well-positioned to pair certified program participants with organizations working in their area of interest that have a need for their areas of expertise. After program completion, participants will be awarded a Nonprofit Board Service Certificate from the University of San Diego and UWSD will work to connect participants with nonprofits in need of board members.
Generously sponsored by UWSD’s Women United affinity group, the first cohort will be offered to current or aspiring women board members who seek to advance their general board governance knowledge and increase their leadership potential.
Future cohorts in 2020 and beyond will be open for all community members to apply, and have opportunities for corporate sponsorship and scholarships.
Who Should Participate and Why?
• Women seeking to fully understand the value, roles, and responsibilities associated with serving on a nonprofit board.
• Current or aspiring women board members who seek to advance their general board governance knowledge and increase their leadership potential.
• Increase your impact as a current or aspiring board member.
• Connect with nonprofits in need of board members with your area of expertise.
• Enhance your leadership skills and learn about effective governance of nonprofits.
• Meet like-minded people and network with other leaders.
• Characteristics of high impact boards
• The realities and legalities of nonprofit board governance
• BoardSource’s “12 Principles of Governance that Power Exceptional Boards”
• Understanding and using nonprofit financial statements
• Five steps to identifying the right board to join
• Brené Brown’s “Dare to Lead” curriculum
The inaugural Board Service Certification cohort will be held at the Center for Creative Leadership for two consecutive days:
February 4 – 5, 2020 • 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Coffee, pastries, and lunch will be served both days.
** Future cohort dates will be announced soon!
Cost and Application
The application deadline for the first cohort is Monday, January 20, 2020 and acceptance notifications will be sent by Friday, January 24, 2020.
Upon acceptance into the program, a $1,000 program fee is due before the first training session; details about payment options will be sent out with decision notifications.
For more information, contact Carlee Chatman, Corporate Social Responsibility Manager, at email@example.com.