An Example of the Common Good
United Way offers many ways for individuals and groups to contribute. The following list includes an example of common good activities that’ll appeal to almost anyone. United Way offers opportunities to volunteer virtually everywhere in America.
One of the goals at United Way is to dramatically improve the health of kids and adults across the country. By helping out with the goal, you can contribute to the common good by helping people learn to care for themselves and make healthier lifestyle choices that improve the whole area. Here are some ways you can improve your health and the health of others:
- Provide families with information on making healthy food choices, finding affordable and good health care, and resources that will help them choose the right foods.
- Help increase the opportunity to make healthy choices by working with schools and work places to offer access to nutritious foods and opportunities to get enough physical activity.
Financial Stability is another important goal at United Way. By getting involved, you can help reach the goal to cut the number of low-income families across the United States by at least one third. There are many ways you can contribute to the common good. Try one of these activities to give back where you live:
- Connect individuals with jobs that sustain a family.
- Help adults get advanced educations so they have access to higher paying and more secure jobs.
- Speak at or organize workshops that teach people to manage their expenses, make smart money choices, and find affordable housing.
Our work in Education is aimed directly at school readiness and improving early-grade literacy. There are many ways you can get involved right near your own home:
- Read with kids in their classrooms to promote literacy.
- Tutor kids in specific subject areas so they can succeed in the classroom.
- Encourage parents to support their child’s efforts at school.
- Get involved with policy changes that work to improve funding and resources in schools so kids have access to the tools they need.
United Way of San Diego County works collectively to advance the common good in our community.